Paint Inlays are the new patent-pending product by Iron Orchid Designs. Think “Paint on paper” that is laid in wet chalk paint, which dries and then embeds into your painted surface. It’s a really cool process and today I want to share with you how to use IOD Paint Inlays with success!
IOD Paint Inlays are NOT transfers! Nor are they stamps!
Unlike an IOD Transfer that transfers from it’s carrier sheet to the surface of your project, an IOD Paint Inlay embeds into your wet painted surface. When the paper is removed, you are left with an authentic painted design on your piece.
Here’s an IFLEX TRAY I used the Rose Chintz Paint Inlay on!
Here’s a VIDEO TUTORIAL IF YOU LEARN BETTER WITH A VISUAL!
HOW TO USE IOD PAINT INLAYS:
- FOR BEST RESULTS, FIRST PAINT A BASE COAT ONTO YOUR SURFACE USING A CHALK PAINT.
- PLAN TO WORK IN SMALL SECTIONS AT A TIME, GENERALLY NO LARGER THAN 12X16.
- LAY OUT YOUR DESIGN WITH THE BLACK GRID LINES FACING UP.
- APPLY A GENEROUS AND EVEN COAT OF MINERAL BASED CHALK PAINT TO A SMALL SECTION.
- SPRITZ THE DESIGN SIDE OF THE INLAY WITH WATER . (THIS IS WHAT I THINK HELPED ME THE MOST!)
- WHILE YOUR PAINTED SURFACE IS STILL WET, LAY THE IOD PAINT INLAY SHEET, (GRID LINES FACING UP), INTO THE WET PAINT.
- NOW SPRITZ THIS SIDE WITH AN EVEN MIST OF WATER. USING A DAMP CHEESE CLOTH OR SPONGE, GENTLY PAT TO MAKE SURE THE DESIGN MAKES GOOD CONTACT WITH YOUR PAINTED SURFACE. TRY NOT TO MOVE OR DRAG THE PAINT INLAY ONCE IT’S LAID DOWN. THIS WILL KEEP FROM SMEARING THE IMAGE.
- REPEAT ABOVE STEPS TO COMPLETE YOUR DESIGN USING THE GRID LINES TO MATCH YOUR PATTERNS.
- ALLOW TO DRY TO THE TOUCH. DRYING TIMES WILL VARY FROM A FEW MINUTES UP TO AN HOUR, DEPENDING ON TYPE OF PAINT USED AND THE CONDITIONS OF YOUR ENVIRONMENT. YOU CAN ALSO SPEED UP THE PROCESS USING A HAIR DRYER.
- ONCE IT’S DRY, AND YOU’RE READY TO REMOVE THE BACKING, AGAIN SPRITZ EVENLY WITH WATER. ALLOW 30 SECONDS FOR THE WATER TO SOAK IN; THIS HELPS THE BACKING RELEASE FROM YOUR PROJECT.
- STARTING AT ONE CORNER, GENTLY PULL THE PAPER UP, KEEPING IT AT A LOW ANGLE. IT SHOULD BE COMING UP EASILY WITHOUT TEARING. IF IT DOES NOT, SPRITZ A SECOND TIME, WAIT A FEW MOMENTS AND THEN TRY AGAIN.
- IF DESIRED, YOU CAN USE A SMALL ARTIST BRUSH AND WATER TO BLEND OUT OR SOFTEN THE DESIGN SINCE THE PAINT IS STILL ACTIVE UNTIL SEALED.
WAYS TO SEAL YOUR PROJECT:
ONCE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR DESIGN, AND IT’S TOTALLY DRY, YOU CAN SEAL!
- APPLY A WATER-BASED POLYCRYLIC DIRECTLY OVER YOUR WORK, BEING CAREFUL NOT TO OVERWORK AND CAUSE SMEARING. YOU MIGHT EVEN WANT TO SPRAY A POLYCRYLIC.
- APPLY A CLEAR WAX; AGAIN MAKING SURE IT’S DRY FIRST AND USING THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS.
- EPOXY RESIN IS ALSO AN OPTION, WHICH IS WHAT I USED HERE.
HERE ARE A COUPLE MORE VIDEO TUTORIALS FROM THE IOD SISTERS!
IOD LIVE – QUEEN OF THE NILE PAINT INLAY
OTHER NOTES TO MENTION:
- Keep IOD Paint Inlays stored in the packaging at room temperature, in a dry area, until read to use.
- Keep used IOD Paint Inlays to use again. You can get 2-3 more impressions with attractive, distressed looks.
- Use IOD Paint Inlays on fabric, using a quality fabric medium.
- Use IOD Paint Inlays on glass, using a clear medium that adheres to glass.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY IT. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE…I ALWAYS LOVE HEARING FROM YOU.
OTHER USEFUL LINKS:
Thanks so much for Reading! Until next time!